Oranges are thought to have the highest levels of both Vitamin C and antioxidants of any fruit or vegetable. They’re incredibly versatile – perfect for snacks, juicing, or adding to salads and other dishes. They are also delicious when preserved as marmalades and chuntneys.
- High in fibre, potassium, folate, thiamin and calcium
- Natural sweetness from sugars including glucose, fructose and sucrose
- A good source of fibre
- Available all year round
- Contains beta-cryptoxanthin, which promotes respiratory health and may reduce the risk of lung cancer
- A 180g orange contains enough Vitamin C for two day’s RDI
- A 180g orange has approximately 220kJ
Navel oranges are seedless and very sweet. They’re easy to peel and perfect for snacking, and their thick skin is ideal for making candied peel and preserves.
Valencia oranges have a zesty, tangy flavour and are the most popular variety for juicing. They have a thinner skin, few seeds and are very juicy.
The diverse Australian climate means that oranges can be grown here all year round. The trees can tolerate high temperatures and prefer warm, sheltered sites.