Limes are prized for the flavour of their juice and zest, which can be added to a huge variety of cooked dishes, fresh foods, desserts and drinks. As well as adding its own unique taste, lime juice brings out the natural flavours of other foods.
- Limes contain limonin, a powerful anti-carcinogen
- Once picked, limes become yellower and juicier
- They are more fragrant and acidic than lemons
- Limes contain zero fat
- Their unique phytonutrient properties have strong antioxidant and anti-biotic effects
- Limes have a stronger scent than lemons, and a tangy acidic flavour
- ‘Key limes’ are also called ‘Bartenders’ limes as their shape and flavour make them the perfect addition to drinks and cocktails
Limes are generally available all year round in Australia, with a peak season from January to April.